They say time flies when you’re having fun, and the eight months since we introduced Flytrex certainly have been quite a ride. Now, after months of hard work, our first hardware upgrade is ready to fly! We proudly present our newest product, the Flytrex Core 2. With the new Core 2, we've transformed our original Flytrex Core into something smaller, sleeker and smarter.
So, what’s the dish on our newest product? Here are the new Core 2 highlights:
- Smaller and Lightweight - The new Core 2 is much smaller than the first generation. The Core 2 weighs 3.5 gram and measures 20mm x 26mm.
- Internal Memory – Using new internal memory pilots can fly with or without a microSD. Your flight data is stored to your microSD (when available) and to the internal memory at all times. This ensures that even if you forgot the microSD at home, or flying in extreme conditions, your flight data will always be available. The Core 2 offers an easy way to copy the last 8 hours of flight data from the internal memory.
- APM Support – New support for APM 2.5/2.6 flight controllers. Extending Flytrex support to new flight controllers is one more step in our ongoing efforts making Flytrex a great place to exchange data and learn more about our hobby.
- One System Fits All – The Core 2 can be used with multiple flight controllers. The Core 2 supports the DJI Naza/Phantom family, Blade 350 QX and APM 2.5/2.6 flight controllers. You'll need to get the proper cable to fit your flight controller and you're good to go.
- New Connector Design – Now using a smaller connector, Phantom owners can route the Flytrex installation cable through the built-in Phantom wiring holes, without having to drill the Phantom Shell.
Copying Files From Flytrex Internal Memory
The Core 2 adds a new internal memory chip that records your flight data at all times, whether a microSD is currently plugged or not. Using the new internal memory the Core 2 introduces new mode of operation without a microSD. This ensures that your flight data is always available - even if you forgot your microSD, or, during extreme flying when the microSD recording isn't always optional.
Once back home, you can copy flights from Flytrex memory following these simple steps:
- Using your PC, add an empty text file named "backup.txt" to the microSD root folder.
- Plug the microSD to Flytrex and powerup your multirotor so that Flytrex will receive power.
- When the Core 2 recognizes this file it starts-up in Backup Mode. In Backup Mode it copies all missions from the memory to the microSD. During this process the LED will flash. This can take up to 2-3 minutes, depending how many new missions are stored on the memory.
- When done, the LED will stop flashing completely.
Once done, you will find all mission files that were loaded from the memory waiting on the microSD. Unlike regular mission files, those loaded from the internal memory start with the letter 'B'.
New File Naming Convention
The Core 2 comes with our latest firmware and introduces new file naming convention that makes it easier to organize your flight files. Much like the older Core, the Core 2 use an auto-increased index for mission file names. However, the Core 2 uses absolute auto-increased index that can't be reset. This ensures that every flight you do gets a new, unique, file name. Using the auto-increased file indexes you can easily identify your latest missions. As an example, your third mission file will be named: '00000003.FPV'.
Mission file names that were copied from the Flytrex memory use the same file naming convention, however, they start with the letter 'B'. For example, your third mission file name stored during flight will be '00000003.FPV'. The same flight file copied from internal memory will be 'B0000003.FPV'
As before, we kept the Core 2 installation super simple, 100% plug-n-play and no soldering is required whatsoever. Updated installation guides will be available shortly at the Flytrex Core 2 support section.
Pricing and Availability
Pricing remains the same as the first Core version. The Core goes for $49.99 and $8.99 for each of the installation cables. You will need to choose the correct installation cable for your setup.
Click here to order the Core 2 today.
That's pretty much it for today! :) We hope you'll love the new Core 2 features and improvements and invite you to stay tuned for more exciting new updates arriving very soon to the Flytrex web-site!
We'd love to hear your thoughts and invite you to post back at our Facebook Page. Our team would love to help and answer any questions you have!
Have a great new week! :)